Beautiful autumn shades make Fall the prettiest season of the year. It is the ideal time for decorating your home in preparation for the holidays. Give your front door and porch a breath of fresh air with fun DIY crafts that are quick and easy to make and will be admired by all who pass by. And while you’re at it, why not tackle the rest of your home by adding a simple touch here and there with projects you can make yourself. Below are a few ideas for home décor that will get you in the mood for crafting.
Everyone is making pumpkin decorations to celebrate the holidays, but why not break away from the traditional orange painted pumpkin ideas and make a pumpkin patch from interesting fabrics such as upholstery or curtaining that will dress up any room in your home. From large ones that sit on the porch to small ones to decorate a table or mantle, these fun pumpkin ideas have endless possibilities.
- Fabric of your choice to fit your lifestyle such as rustic, modern and trendy, or classic.
- Green Felt
- Embroidery Floss
- Vine-wrapped craft wire
- Hot glue gun
- Cut two triangles for each pumpkin with a 2:1 ratio. For example, the largest pumpkin can be 22” x 11” and smaller ones can be 8” x 4” and anything in between.
- Place two rectangles together, right sides facing, and sew them together at both short ends.
- Hand sew a running stitch with embroidery floss along one long edge.
- Gently pull both ends of the thread to gather the fabric into a snug circle.
- Tie the ends together into a knot and sew any gaps together with the needle end.
- Turn the fabric right side out.
- Do another running stitch around the top but do not gather yet.
- Fill the cavity two thirds with Polyfill.
- Start gathering half way then press the Polyfill down firmly and continue filling. Stuff and gather as you go. It helps to have someone assist you at this stage to hold the fabric together with both hands to prevent it from opening up while stuffing.
- Tie the ends together but leave a small gap.
- Decorate the top with craft wire wrapped with vine leaves and cut-out felt leaves and glue everything into place.
- Depending on the size of the pumpkin insert a suitably sized dowel into the opening for a stem.
Keep the theme color the same or mix it up with different colors you love to make your pumpkin patch interesting and different.
Twig Wall Decor
Dried twigs are nature’s greatest craft supply and are great for fun DIY crafts. They can be used to make wreaths in many different ways to decorate a table or a front door. Just shape and wind them around wire to make rustic wreaths. Paint a twig wreath gold or silver and decorate them with beautiful silk or velvet ribbons for a festive look. For a fall wreath add silk or dried flowers and fall leaves in autumn colors from yellow to orange and red.
Block letters are an easy way to add a personal touch to your home decor. You can use block letters for initials, to spread love with hearts and X’s for kisses, or words for season’s greetings. Paint them in different colors and stack them together or string them together. They are also a great way to make signs for doors like children’s rooms or even your craft room. Twig craft adds texture and color to things like photo frames and can even be used to decorate greeting cards. Let our imagine run wild and create wonderful fall crafts with twigs.